Lecture: 60 Years of Wooden Boat Building in Annapolis: The story of the people, businesses, and boats of Chance Maine Construction Company, Annapolis Yacht Yard, and John Trumpy & Sons, Inc.
From February 27, 2014 7:00 pm until February 27, 2014 8:30 pm
Mike Miron, President and CEO of SpaCreek Associates LLC
The historical presentation will describe the history of the three family owned and operated boat yards in Eastport with special emphasis on Chance Marine Construction Company, Annapolis Yacht Yard, and John Trumpy & Sons, Inc. The three boat yards span a 60-year timeline over which time craftsmen, artisans, and shipwrights built wooden luxury yachts as well as military vessels for four major wars America became involved in beginning with World War I. Hear about the colorful men and women who held fond memories of these boatyards and learn about the circumstances that led to the demise of wooden boat building in Annapolis. The presenation is based on 150 oral history interviews conducted by Mr. Miron.
- Past Director, Department of Economic Development, City of Annapolis
- Owned and operated four local retail business in Annapolis
- Studied Economics at St. Leo University in Dade City Florida and the GraduateSchool of Economics, University of Maryland, College Park
- Founded the Trumpy Yacht Association
- Writer and local historian focusing on regional maritime history
- Former columnist with The Capital-Gazette newspaper