Annapolis Maritime Museum / 723 Second St / Annapolis, MD 21403
Contacts: Jeff Holland / 410 295-0104 / email@example.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Feb. 29, 2008
Chesapeake Sailing Craft topic of Museum Maritime Seminar Series, April 3
Author and Naval Architect William Fox will discuss Chesapeake Sailing Craft at the Annapolis Maritime Museum’s 2008 Maritime Seminar Series on Thursday, April 3, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the Barge House on the Museum campus in Eastport.
William Fox presents a rare photographic record of sailing craft from log canoes to four-masted schooners, showing the vessels in all phases of their activities on the Bay, including loading and unloading cargoes; under sail and in port; in shipyards; details of rigging, fittings, and decks; interior views; as powerboats; and abandoned hulks. The photographs were taken between 1925 and 1975 by Robert Burgess, curator of the Mariners’ Museum in Newport News, Virginia, and published by Cornell Maritime Press in 1975. The recently re-released edition, edited by William Fox, brings alive the author's photographs and recollections for a new generation of readers.
There will be one hour of presentation, followed by a discussion period. Enrollment fees for Museum members are $12 per seminar and $15 for non-members. To enroll, call the Museum at 410 295-0104.
Naval architect William A. Fox was born in Newport News, Virginia, at the height of the World War II shipbuilding program. He grew up in Newport News and owes his interest in maritime history to his mother, Katherine Johnson Fox, who worked at the Mariners' Museum library, and to his father, Erwin A. Fox, Jr., who was a merchant mariner, shipbuilder, and boater. William A. Fox graduated from Virginia Polytechnic Institute in 1965 and received his master's degree in Urban Studies from Old Dominion University in 1979. He has worked for Newport News Shipbuilding; for Esso (Exxon) International in New York, Italy, and Spain; and for Stanwick International in Iran. Since 1979 he has been associated with John J. McMullen Associates in Newport News.
He began his writing career with a book chapter on ship modeling in 1975, and a history of the tug Dorothy (Newport News Hull No. 1) in 1976. In 1986 he researched and wrote Always Good Ships, a comprehensive history of all of the ships built at the Newport News shipyard since its founding in 1886. He has contributed many articles on maritime history to magazines and newspapers, and has edited several books.
For more information, see AnnapolisMaritimeMuseum.org.